Crusty Brussels Sprouts
Recipe type: Vegetable
- 24 small brussels sprouts
- 11/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup grated hard cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the brussels sprouts and trim the stem ends.
- Cut in half from stem to top and gently toss with ½ tablespoon olive oil in medium bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in your largest skillet over medium low heat. Don’t overheat the skillet, or the outsides of the brussels sprouts will cook too quickly.
- Place the brussels sprouts in the pan flat side down (single-layer), sprinkle with a couple pinches of salt, cover, cooking for about 5 minutes; the bottoms of the sprouts should only show a hint of browning. Pierce one of the sprouts with a fork or the tip of a sharp knife to gauge whether they’re tender throughout. If not, cover and cook for a few more minutes.
- Once tender, uncover, turn up the heat, and cook until the flat sides are deep brown and caramelized.
- Add more salt, if needed, freshly ground black pepper, and dust with grated cheese.