Chocolate Sugar Cookies
This is a great cookie on its own but makes an absolutely delicious ice cream sandwich.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup lightly salted butter, softened (Deb note: I don’t really see “lightly salted” much these days, so I used one stick salted, one stick unsalted)
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk dry flour, salt and baking powder in bowl and set aside. Mix butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and cocoa in bowl of mixer. Gradually add flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Wrap dough in plastic and chill for one hour.
- Roll out cookie dough to ¼ inch thickness on pastry board. Cut into desired shapes. Bake 10 minutes or until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Freeze cookies and fill with favorite ice cream just before serving.