Pasta with Spicy Italian Sausage
Recipe type: Pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups spinach
- ½ pound penne pasta
- 10 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1½ cups freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute the sausage until lightly browned, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Add garlic and red pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly until the flour is absorbed.
- Add the chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce has been reduced to ¾ cup.
- Meanwhile, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and cook penne until al dente.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid.
- Add tomatoes, spinach, and basil to the sausage mixture. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add drained pasta to sauce and toss with tongs, adding some of the reserved cooking liquid if needed.
- Add one cup of parmesan and toss to distribute the sauce.
- Serve immediately with additional parmesan.