Italian Meatball Soup
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 2 carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 42 ounces reduced-sodium, no fat, chicken broth
- 2½ cups water
- 24 frozen pre-cooked meatballs
- 2 (14 ounce) cans white beans
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bag (6 ounces) bag baby spinach
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Additional salt, if needed
- Pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in soup pot over moderate heat.
- Add onions, carrots, celery and cook until onions are beginning to carmelize, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and add frozen meatballs, beans, basil and oregano.
- Continue to simmer until vegetables are tender and meatballs are heated through.
- Stir in spinach, cheese, salt and pepper and simmer until spinach is wilted, about 1 minute.
WW Points = 9 Total points could be reduced by eliminating cheese and reducing number of meatballs per serving.