Recipe type: Bread
A sweet corn bread dough that can also be used for corn muffins.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Place the 1 tablespoon butter in 10-inch skillet or a 9-inch round baking pan. Place in oven until butter melts, 3-4 minutes. Remove skillet from oven and swirl butter in pan to coat bottom and sides.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk and oil. Beat lightly to combine.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Batter will be lumpy. Pour batter into skillet or pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
Corn muffins: Omit 1 tablespoon butter. Coat muffin tins with cooking spray. Spoon batter into 12 muffin tins. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes.
Equipment you might need for this recipe include measuring cups, measuring spoons, mixing bowls, a cast iron skillet or muffin tins.