Butternut Squash Soup
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced, peeled, fresh ginger
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup fat free evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrot.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and 1 teaspoon of the fresh ginger; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the squash, broth, wine, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the squash is soft enough to mash, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Puree mixture with a hand held blender.*
- Stir in evaporated milk, lime juice, and remaining 1 teaspoon of ginger; return to a simmer.
- *Alternatively, transfer mixture in batches to a blender and puree. Return soup to pot and continue.
WW Points = 2
Adapted from Weight Watchers Entertains Cookbook