Israeli Couscous Summer Pilaf
Recipe type: Side
This is an excellent summer side dish for almost anything off the grill and it can be made in advance.
- 1½ cup Israeli couscous
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, minced
- ¼ cup fresh dill, minced
- 10 to 12 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced, optional
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup almonds, toasted and rough chopped
- Bring 5 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the couscous and simmer for 8 minutes until the couscous is al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water until cool.
- Combine couscous with remaining ingredients except the nuts. Toss well to combine.
- Top with chopped nuts to serve.
- May be served at once or made 1 day in advance.