Recipe type: Main Dish
- FOR THE FISH:
- 1 cup Panko
- 1 egg, slightly beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 pound boned, skinned white fish (cod, catfish, halibut)
- 24 warm corn tortillas
- ½ head shredded cabbage
- Lime wedges
- FOR THE CHIPOTLE SAUCE
- ½ cup good mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder, or to taste
- FOR THE PICO DE GALLO
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded, finely chopped
- ¼ cup small white onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, finely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- Kosher salt & freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Rinse fish and pat dry. Cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed frying pan or Dutch oven with enough vegetable oil to create a ½-inch depth. Heat the oil over high heat to 375 degrees on a deep fry thermometer.
- Coat fish with flour, shaking off excess, dip into egg and then into Panko, coating well.
- Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Remove fish to a paper towel-lined platter using a slotted spoon or Chinese strainer.
- To assemble, stack two tortillas in your hand. Add a few pieces of fish, chipotle sauce, pico de gallo and top with shredded cabbage. Squeeze a lime over the top, fold in half and enjoy!