Last weekend we were pleased to have old friends visit. Judy and Ab have recently moved to another city and we miss them. Typical of Judy, she has met lots of new people, including one who introduced her to smoothies and the Magic Bullet. I love gadgets but had never heard about this one, then suddenly I’m seeing recipes everywhere for smoothies. Here’s one that I found in the latest issue on Cooking Light. Called the Green Machine, it’s made with spinach, greek yogurt, and honeydew melon. YUM!!
Recipe type: Vegetable, Side Dish
- 1½ pounds baby spinach leaves, washed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon butter, optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant (less than a minute).
- Add spinach, salt and pepper to the pot and toss with the garlic and olive oil using tongs.
- Continue cooking spinach until beginning to wilt, about 4 minutes.
- Remove spinach from pot and toss with butter and a squeeze of lemon.
Microwave Sweet Potato
Recipe type: Vegetable
- ½ to 1 Sweet Potato per person depending on size of potato
- Scrub the sweet potato but do not peel.
- Trim ends and prick with knife in several places to prevent the potato from exploding during cooking.
- Microwave on high for five minutes.
- Turn potato over and microwave for an additional five minutes. (Cooking times may vary depending on the wattage of the microwave.)
Recipe type: Side dish, vegetable
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, optional
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Arrange asparagus in single layer in baking pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven for 18-20 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Remove asparagus from oven and drizzle with balsamic vinegar, if desired.
- May be served warm or at room temperature.
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 16 new potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Put potatoes into a pan large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Add olive oil, water, garlic and lemon juice.
- Toss ingredients together and arrange in single layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes, turn potatoes with spatula to bring browned sides up.
- Bake for an additional 30 minutes or until nicely browned.